An Amazing Book You've Never Heard Of: The Dean's Watch

My good friend recommended The Dean's Watch by Elizabeth Goudge. I had never heard of this book which was first published in 1960, but one doesn't say no to a book recommendation from a former high school English teacher. I'm so glad I read it because it has become one of my top ten favorite books. 

Why The Dean's Watch is Amazing 

  1. Character Development: The way the characters grow and transform in this book is so enjoyable to read. I couldn't help falling in love with the dear old Dean. 
  2. View of Faith: Several of the characters are infused with robust and inspirational faith. 
  3. Cohesive: Key symbols unify the text; interconnected characters. 
  4. Real and Relatable: The characters are so relatable-- especially their inner thoughts and faults. The characters are all believably unique and different and represent all ages and walks of life. 

Psalm 68 and Escape from Death 

Psalm 68 is the main scripture that frames The Dean's Watch. It's woven into the history of the great cathedral that dominates the town, and it's also an important text [at the end- no spoilers] and in the Dean's Christmas sermon. Verses 5-6a could be the Dean's life verses: "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families." Most of the book is the story of God using the Dean to bring lonely, unhappy misfits into belonging. 

Another important part of Psalm 68 in The Dean's Watch is verse 20: "Our God is a God who saves, from the Sovereign Lord comes escape from death." I didn't realize how important this concept was to Christian faith until the pandemic started and people's fear really amped up. I am a teacher, and I know many teachers throughout the city. When I started to see how afraid people were about returning to school because of their fear of death, I was surprised. No, I don't want to die right now either. I have two small children, and I want to live to see them grow up. But I'm not gripped by the fear of death. I read this verse in Hebrews the other day that connects really well to Psalm 68:20 and to what's happening right now in the world. I'm going to paraphrase a little: "[Jesus] shared in [our] humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death-- that is, the devil-- and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death" (Heb. 2:14-15). In the book, the character Isaac struggles with fear, and the author really gets inside his head and shows how all-consuming it can be. This is what I imagine it's like to live through a pandemic without God-- all-consuming fear. I think compassion is called for on the part of Christians, and kindness. People are really afraid and need to be handled gently, just like Isaac in the book. 

Let me know what you think if you read it! 

Comments

Post a Comment