Poetry: Family Campout

Backstory

When my first daughter, Caroline, was born in 2018, a lot of bad things happened one right after another. She had no interest in breastfeeding, I was hospitalized for a bizarre mastitis case, etc. The A/C breaking was just one more thing in a long list of misadventures. Having a newborn can be chaotic! 


Family Campout

 

The day after my baby

started breastfeeding

was June 29th,

high of 95˚,

feels like 105˚.

Our house was hot.

My husband thought

the A/C was just

having trouble

keeping up.

I thought differently.

It was 80˚ inside.

We went to the basement.

My mom convinced me

to convince my husband

to call someone.

Having a newborn

qualified us to use

the emergency number

and a technician came

by 9 pm that night.

Our house was still

around 85˚, so we had

baby’s first campout

in the basement.

Mom and Dad slept

on the air mattress

and baby in the pack and play.

There were no s’mores.


Anyone have any fun A/C stories to share? 

Comments