Comforting Children's Book: On Morning Wings

On Morning Wings

One of my favorite nap time reads these days is On Morning Wings by Reeve Lindbergh. It's loosely based on Psalm 139. When I first read it, I didn't like it at all because it seemed cheesy, but with time and repetition, the words have become so comforting and a deeper meaning has emerged. I think I like reading it more than Caroline, although she likes the artwork and the part where a boy looks at a turtle underwater. 

When I read these words:

"You are with me everywhere:
In light and shadow, fire and air;
In every tiny grain of sand; 
And in the desert, vast and grand;"

I am reminded that God cares about the smallest details of my day and about what is going on in the whole world. He can handle the grains of sand and the entire desert. 

"When I'm angry, you stay here" reminds me that God isn't scared away by my anger, and I don't have to hide it from him. "Down in darkness, too, you meet me" connects to the part of Psalm 139 "Even the darkness will not be dark to you." God isn't surprised by my darkness. "Know me, lead me, guide my way, through every hour of every day." There's nothing like having kids to make you realize that you need God every hour (sometimes every minute!). 

I have no idea how this book came to our home, but I'm glad that it did. 

Comments