Easy Meal: Spain-inspired Fried Eggs

I'm addicted. I love this meal. 

In 2016, we were able to spend a month living in Spain in a small suburb of Barcelona called Terrassa. On our first night, we wandered around the main square and stopped at a little cafe to get some dinner. Since we couldn't read the menu in Catalan, we asked for a recommendation, and this is what we got: 
It's a pile of fries topped with fried eggs and jamón ibérico. After eating this meal, I was like "Oh, I think I'm going to like it here." 

I don't know why it never occurred to me to make it at home before, maybe because I can't get the great quality ham here, but recently I found an old bag of fries in the freezer and inspiration was born. I've made it at least three times since then. The only downside of this dish is that once you eat it, it's gone. 

Here are my most recent versions: 

This one has seasoned waffle fries as the base, two fried eggs and bacon. 


This one has three pieces of prosciutto. 

How to Make Your Own 

  1. Buy a bag of your favorite oven fries-- can be seasoned or unseasoned. 
  2. Decide if you're going to have meat and what kind-- any kind of cured pork product will do. 
  3. Cook fries and meat (if necessary). 
  4. In the last minutes 5-7 minutes of the fries, start frying the eggs on low heat. I prefer somewhat runny yolks because the liquid makes the fries taste better and cuts some dryness. 
  5. Build a base of fries on the plate, top with eggs and meat. Enjoy! 
If you try it, let me know what you think! 

Comments