Announcing Book Contract with TPRS Books

It's been busy 

Saturday's setup on the deck--eliminating words
When I start working on a project, I get sucked in big time. When the end is near, so close, just a little further, it's hard for me to stop. The most recent phase was working on reducing the unique word count, which is like playing a giant game of Jenga with 617 pieces. It was not fun, and on Saturday, after hours of working, I was ready to quit and firmly believed there was no way for me to get to the goal of 400 words. But, TODAY, I finished. I reduced the unique word count from 617 words to 400 words. 

I am not used to having limitations on the words I can use. Poetry, my other genre, is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Its goals are specificity, image, description, richness of language. I am often searching for the one perfect word that captures everything I want to say. I want the fewest words possible to carry the greatest depth of meaning, and for that, I need lots of different kinds of words put together in different ways. 

Writing a level 2 Spanish reader is the opposite. The goal is for language learners to be able to read the book! They haven't yet learned the words or expressions that perfectly capture the image in my mind. Instead of an orchid, it's "a plant with white flowers." Instead of a snack, it's "something to eat." This was such a learning process for me, but I did get better and faster at it as I went along. 

Working within these word limitations made me grateful for the freedom to use words in a way I've never felt before. My husband always talks about how he loves computer programing because he can build something out of nothing-- all the materials are free. This is how I feel about writing. Imagine being asked to build a house, but you can only use supplies on the bottom shelf of the hardware store. Next time, I'm going to have to start by being a little less attached to my fancy words, but for now, I'm living it up and using my full vocabulary. Watch out! 

I shared on social media over the weekend that I signed my contract. Signing the contract is huge for me because it means that this work is not in vain and will eventually result in a book that I can hold in my hands and that students can read and hopefully be inspired by. There is still more work to come, and I don't know exactly when it will go to print, but it will someday. 

Dream come true. I used many of their books in my Spanish classroom, and now one will have my name on it. 

The mom connection

So, what's the mom connection? Don't stop using your gifts, talents, and brains just because you have other big responsibilities (like your children!). If you were made to do something, then do it. Stop making excuses for yourself like "it won't be that good" or "no one will care" or "I don't have time." NOW is the time for you to embrace who you are-- your giftedness, your skills-- and do what you were made to do. What better example is there for your kids than that? Pep talk over. Have a great day! 

Comments