Mom Hacks-- Take a Shower, Your Child Will Survive

Take a Shower, Your Child Will Survive 

Posted by Sarah M. White 

Mom Hacks Series Intro

Welcome to Mom Hacks, where we will each answer the question "What is one game-changing tip that another mom told you?" I am so excited to begin this series. Parenting has a pretty steep learning curve and every phase is different. Sometimes a simple word from a more experienced mom can change everything. 

Take a Shower, Your Child Will Survive 

Caroline was probably six months old, or maybe she had started to crawl, I'm not sure, but I felt like she needed me all the time. I could not leave her alone or do anything. I couldn't take a shower during the day and ended up using my precious nap time or night time to shower instead of taking care of my soul, mind, or relationships (or taking a nap!). 

I was explaining this problem to another mom whose boys were much older, school-age. She said to me, like it was no big deal, "You have to take a shower. Just put her in the pack and play in your bedroom with some toys. She needs to learn how to be alone and play by herself for a few minutes. She will be safe in there. Put some music on and make it a normal part of your day." 

At first, I didn't want to try it because I thought that it was selfish. And that it probably wouldn't work. But then I remembered seeing a pack and play filled with toys in one of my friend's bedrooms, right by her bathroom door, and I thought it was worth a try. I used the exersaucer instead and moved it right outside my open bathroom door, put on her music playlist and showered. It worked! She didn't cry. She just sat there playing with her toys. 

Thanks to my friend, Maria, for this little exersaucer. 

Shower time has evolved with her growth. When she grew out of the exersaucer, we created a little baby gated area in our room right outside the bathroom door. When she was getting potty trained, we added the little potty chair into this area during shower time. Now, she is too big to be enclosed, but she sits in her little camping chair in my room and has her snack while I shower. 

I am so glad that I tried this because it has created a golden piece of time for us. She has learned not to need me for a few minutes. I get to have a morning routine which is so healthy for me (and for her, too), and I am free to use my nap time and evenings for things that feed my soul. 

Mom Hack: I can train my child to be alone for a few minutes with safe and age-appropriate tools. 

Comments