Visit Pheasant Branch Conservancy

Visit Pheasant Branch Conservancy 

Posted by Sarah M. White 


Looking for something cool to do? How about exploring a natural spring? I had no idea there were natural springs in Wisconsin until my friend, Marilyn, posted a video of the springs at Pheasant Branch. 

I took the family a few days later, but didn't do my research well enough to know that there were three parking lots! I assumed the first lot was the one on the map and the closest one to the spring, but it was the FARTHEST. So, we took a very long walk. Props to Caroline for walking the whole way! 
Well, she almost walked the whole way. 

Eventually, we made it to the springs, which were very cool. I had never seen springs like this. I grew up in Memphis, TN, and I remember taking a trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas and going on a glass bottom boat ride to see the hot springs. But that looked so different from these springs because the water was much deeper. 

The spring! The water bubbles up where the rings in the dirt are. 

We have already visited twice, and, both times, we've seen five sandhill cranes flying above the conservancy all together in a... 
Who knew there were so many choices for a group of cranes!

This natural area is perfect if you like walking on grass trails. I certainly do. 

Someday, I want to bike through this conservancy. It's so beautiful. 


If you want to see somewhere a little different this fall, check out Pheasant Branch. Make sure to look at a map before you go and note where the three parking areas are : ) 

Once again, this map is from the THIRD parking lot. More info on the Dane County parks page.  


Comments